Homestead Exemptions

If you purchased a property during 2022 and you use it as your primary residence, you may be eligible to apply for the homestead exemption for the 2023 tax year. The homestead exemption is a property tax reduction eligible for owner-occupied homes.

To qualify for the homestead exemption you must own, occupy, and claim the property as your legal residence as of January 1st of the current year, and you must submit your application along with any supporting documentation by April 1st. Homestead applications that are filed after April 1st will not be granted until the next calendar year.

Once you have properly filed for the homestead exemption and it has been granted, the exemption will remain on your property until there is a change in ownership (i.e., you do NOT need to refile for the exemption every year). The exemption is automatically renewed each year so long as you continually occupy the home under the same ownership.

While application requirements may vary depending on your county of residency, the following are the most commonly requested information and documentation needed to complete the application:

  1. Georgia Driver’s License or valid GA identification with your new address updated;
  2. Social Security Number (Owner and Spouse);
  3. Registration for all vehicles owned in the county of your new address;
  4. Recorded deed for new owners;
  5. Trust document and affidavit if the property is in a trust;
  6. Proof of income, previous year’s tax returns, and copy of Social Security Award Letter (for Senior and other Special Exemptions).

Your recorded deed should have been sent to you by the closing attorney approximately 4-6 weeks after the closing. Please remember to contact the Tax Commissioner’s Office or Tax Assessor’s Office after you have filed the application to confirm receipt and that the taxing authority considers the exemption properly filed and granted.

The deadline for filing is April 1st of this year for all counties in Georgia.

The best information regarding filing instructions will come from your county tax assessor’s office. If you are in a city, you may have to also file with the city (i.e. Milton, Roswell and Alpharetta). We have listed the contact and websites for the majority of tax assessors in the metro area below.